Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Brigadier General James Abraham

Two weeks ago I had the honor of meeting retired Brigadier General James Abraham when he was a guest speaker at the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge meeting. A veteran of World War Two James Abraham enlisted in the Army after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. From Normandy to the end of the Second World War he served on the intelligence company attached to General Patton's Third Army, rising from Private to the rank of Lieutenant during the war. After World War Two he remained in the Army, reaching the rank of Brigadier General before retiring in 1982 after 40 years of military service. Meeting him in person was such an honor and I also bought a copy of his book, which he signed and I read voraciously. His book "Worlds Which Might Have Been & Could Be" is his insightful views of what the world may be like today if the Allies had lost WW2 or if the global conflict could have been averted all together. It also details his opinions on what the would of tomorrow could be like based on his experiences and observations. His views on problems that face our country today from terrorism, to energy troubles, to unemployment and inflation our strong and intelligent. I recommend his book to anyone interested in history and world affairs, even if you don't agree with his views this book gives you a chance to think about and argue your own opinion. I found those opportunities myself in this book, while for the most part General Abraham's views are similar to my own I found places where we differ and it gave me the chance to think and strengthen my own argument on issues facing the United States and the world today. I truly enjoined his book and hope anyone who reads its will find it as intriguing and insightful as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment